Friday, October 30, 2009

Patience

It's not about waiting for something to happen or gritting our teeth while we go through the motions over and over again to practice something. It's about taking the time to really explore what is, to listen with our hearts as well as our ears - to ourselves and to our other selves.

Big lesson for me. I have a tendency to want the results NOW, to assuage any kind of hunger NOW - instant gratification. That way I lose the joy of curiosity and exploration.

Take the experience of it's noon or one o'clock. I think I'm hungry. What do I know about REAL hunger? Thank you God for providing me with food and drink whenever I need it or think I need it. So today, instead of impatiently finding a restaurant, I decided to explore the sensations going on in my body - my feet, hands, belly, throat, eyeballs, without the label of hunger. It was really interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment