Thursday, June 4, 2009

Clothes Make the Man - and the Woman

Stanisloski (sp?) in his book about how to create a character speaks of costume. Well, this morning I put on my Nia togs in preparation to take a class. I immediately became conscious of myself as someone with purpose (nia is an African word meaning "with purpose.") I danced my way through making my morning green drink. I danced my way through the brushing of teeth, the finishing up of some computer work. I tell my Nia students to be aware of their daily movements, to consciously listen to their body's way and to consciously choose their movements as they go about their day. Somehow, wearing my elegant Nia clothing - even my Nia earrings - made a difference. I love dressing up, down and around. I love costume, color and fabric. I love wearing one thing that is very expensive (in my world, anything over $20 is expensive). I especially love it if no one can see it - like maybe it's a gorgeous piece of underwear. It's all theater, isn't it?

Took a Nia class with a teacher who uses her own music and her own routines. It was good. I got a good workout. One of the best things about Nia is its flexibility, its opportunity for individuality and creativity. When I first started teaching, I nailed myself to the routines created by Carlos and/or Debbie. I would flagellate myself mentally and emotionally if I missed a step or a beat. Oh how we drama queens love to create suffering.

Steve is feeling poorly. All he wants to do is sleep. So, he is sleeping. I find myself so frustrated when the man I love is unwell. Perhaps all he needs to do is sleep a bunch. I am bathing him (mentally of course) with my love, sending healing vibes to his body, mind and soul. Sometimes I sign my emails etc. with Love Is All There Is.

Love Is All There Is.

No comments:

Post a Comment