Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Face to Face and Heart to Heart

Hi Jill:
Thanks for your comment.
Life seems to go in circles..ever spiraling upward. Birth, Maintenance, Death, Rebirth. Some things fall by the wayside - happily. Like my menstrual cycle. I must admit I don't miss those monthly visits - AND I notice there is still cycling with the moon.

Taught Nia yesterday and today. I'm teaching only two classes a week this summer - both for seniors. My "senior" students are awesome. Most of them get whatever I give them. I will take credit for being more clear in my instruction and modeling. So the focus was the knees. What a fantastic focus. Knees - symbolic of moving forward - symbolic of healthy humility. Synchronistically great article came my way about knees. One of the best things you can do for them is walk backwards. The article explained why. And of course I have lots of info from my various books, Nia articles and my own experience. I'm a Capricorn (ooh how I hate labels, but I'll use it here) and our body part is the knee(s). I was thrown from a motorcycle in my wilder days and my left knee was torn up. It "talks" to me whenever I'm out of balance. It teaches me so much - especially to accept my idea of perfection. And of course I'm always on the lookout how to serve my knees with thought, food, movement and love. I'm learning about the Technique of Extrinsic Reciprocals from my Body Talk coach. It WORKS. This morning I woke up with pain in my left knee. I massaged it with my right hand while simultaneously massaging my right elbow with my left hand. In minutes the knee softened up and the pain was gone. Wow. Of course I share everything I learn with my students. That gives me so much joy - really. If anyone reads this and finds it useful - hey that gives me joy also.

Speaking of sharing. I've been scoping out existing fitness videos. So far I've found NOTHING like the one I'm wanting to produce. And EVERYONE I mention the plan to says they would be so happy to have such a DVD.

More later.

2 comments:

  1. Amen Kaycheri on the not missing the monthly visits from Aunt Flo. Give me a high five sistah. I'm a Capricorn, too, and also have an old knee injury (were we in the temple together?) I'm going to massage my knee, as soon as I'm done typing this comment, using the extrinsic reciprocal method. I'll let you know how it works...nah...you already know how it works.

    I've been looking at fitness videos, too. I was really excited to have purchased one the other day with various "fitness gurus" teaching their methods. OMG, how boring it was. I should know not to listen to any gurus...after all guru is spelled GEE YOU ARE YOU. I need to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't miss it at all, but feel a surge of sexuality and passion, as do many older people. So, what do we do with it? Here is a poem, ruminating on the possibilities, yet in my head, with appreciation to NW poet Theodore Roethke:

    Transformations

    “I NEED AN OLD CRONE’S KNOWING…”
    FROM FIRST MEDITATION, BY THEODORE ROETHKE


    Well, Ted, I have it
    Or am it—precisely--so
    How did my heart go soaring
    And my brain not knowing
    I would turn to dust?

    Clearly, we want each other
    Or want things from each other
    Want to be each other in a way.

    You, perhaps transforming your mother
    Into something more palatable,
    And, for me, pure lust--
    More specifically, your skin and teeth;
    For you, my breasts and hair.

    If we compiled our assets into one,
    We’d be a wise and lovely beast!

    “There, There!“
    Why should I complain?
    We were a train
    Hurtling through time
    So it leaves me without rhyme
    Or reason.

    It may have been what I said
    That you took me to bed,
    Or simply the warmth of spring,
    That sexual season.

    Kay Weeks

    ReplyDelete