Tuesday, September 27, 2011



ABORTION

My body prepares for mothering
I cannot sleep

I watch breasts fill with unwanted milk
Belly rounds, softens

All night I hear the child whisper within me
Will I ever sleep again?

My church demands
Life is life, thou shalt not kill
But surely God would not demand I birth this child.
Surely God would understand

In the clinic
The clean white clinic
They dress me in a clean white gown and
The clean white doctor with no face leans over me, and
The clean white nurse with her voice of comfort and no face
Holds my hand
When the quick deep pain comes, I squeeze her hand
So hard I think it might break

She doesn’t cry out
I don’t cry out
I think I hear the baby cry one long howl of protest
NOOOOOOO

But how can it?
It has no mouth yet
The clean white social worker at the clinic
Tells me it has no mouth yet.

They wheel my empty body away
I lie in a row with the others
Neatly in a clean white row
We of the gutted bodies

Where do they throw away the dead babies?
I forgot to ask.
I’ll never know where my baby is.
I light a candle for it in church every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment