Sunday, September 11, 2011

I have an Esalan story. It was in the early 60’s. I took my two little children and left them with my dad and his wife in Phoenix, Arizona. I then traveled to California by plane and hitchhiked my way up to Esalen where I was scheduled for a workshop with Michael Murphy. In those days, it was relatively safe to hitchhike. There I was with my long hair and short skirt. I arrived at Esalen without incident. One truck driver made a “pass,” but when I told him I wasn’t interested, he didn’t insist, and he took me to gate. At the gate I saw a woman on crutches. Her foot was bandaged. When I asked her what happened, she told me that during a workshop someone had bitten her foot. I expressed amazement that she had returned for another workshop. She simply shrugged. I checked in and began the “Encounter” workshop I had signed up for. During the second or third session, a couple (man and woman) addressed me. They accused me of trying to arouse sexual interest, because I was wearing my long hair and short skirt. They said they were going to acost me sexually – both of them. I was truly frightened, told them I didn’t want that experience. I looked toward the facilitator to protect me. He said nothing and did nothing. I got up and left the room. I never returned. I made friends with three guys and spent the rest of the week in their company and on my own. One night the four of us were looking into the black, star-studded sky. We saw a vehicle that was clearly not an airplane. A UFO? Perhaps. Another night, or perhaps it was in the wee hours of a morning, when it was still dark, I was meditating by myself at the baths. A deep voice said one word, “Accept.” I took that message to be my personal mantra, and it continues to be a powerful message. I received the famous Molly Shackman Dey massage, and when I returned to Princeton, New Jersey, I learned it to use at the Experimental Department of the New Jersey Psychiatric Institute where I worked; but that’s another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment