Friday, September 23, 2011

Streetcar Named Desire

9/19/11
This morning, when I told Steve one of my stories, he asked me if I was regurgitating. Tonight when I asked him about it, he said did I just tell the same stories over and over without resolving the issues they were bringing up. Yuck. I'm telling the stories that come to mind, gathering them together, so to speak, and then I'll see if any of them fit into a One-Woman piece. I'm thinking to ask other women to contribute their thoughts and stories about "Forbidden Subjects" and maybe it will be a Four Woman piece. It's amazing how I allow something Steve says to discourage me. I know that's not his intention. Maybe it would be best if I just kept writing and didn't share my stuff for now.


So last night, or maybe it was early this morning, I had a dream about “Streetcar Named Desire.” I had recommended Jeremy to play Stanley. Turns out he wasn’t good for the role, being an inexperienced actor. He didn’t make eye contact. The subject of making eye contact with students had come up earlier during the day. So here’s my” Streetcar Named Desire” story:


I had been cast as Blanche by the director, who was a bit of a hound. He complained about his wife, called her a bitch. Well, tragically, that same wife died in childbirth. At the funeral, the husband, who had spoken so negatively about his wife, was distraught. He was crying a lot. The play was cancelled. Damn! I never got another chance to play the juicy role of Blanche Dubois.

No comments:

Post a Comment