Monday, May 25, 2009

Back in the Saddle Again

Okay, what's the progress on the DVD?
Saturday night we went to hear one of the bands Jeremy's in. The main band playing was "Sneakin' In." Triple wow! Hard rock style. Three guys. One on a mandolin like I've never heard before. The main guy played on a contraption of several instruments and the base guitar player - full of personality as well as phenomenal talent. How do people get this way? Basic talent and inspiration - 1 percent - maybe 2 percent. 99 percent perspiration - practice practice practice.

So all day today, I'm running the lines over and over for tomorrow's rendition of "God" (see previous blog). Whatever I do won't be enough - and it will be enough because it will be whatever it is. I know I've rarely been quite willing or believe in my abilities quite enough to put in the practice practice practice to go through to the end. I see it in everything I do. AND it's OKAY! It's a choice.

Fantasy of putting in the 1001 percent to make this DVD. My fear is that no matter how much I put into it, the basic genius isn't there - that 1 percent.

Don't even want to go there.

So I let myself be okay with the results of the practice I do - the preparation for the performances I'm in, for the classes I take and the classes I teach.

The flip side. It was gratifying to wake up this morning with the task before me. It was getting back into the saddle of the ride I took so many times in the past when I was actively performing in plays etc. It felt good to have something very definite to do - something measurable. I can measure how well I memorize the piece. Check it after each rendition to see if I've got it word for word. I remembered all the techniques I used over the years to prepare for an audition and/or a performance.

Car got a flat tire. It got handled. I'll have wheels to go to the audition tomorrow morning and to teach the Nia class in the afternoon.

Planning to get together with Jeremy for more music creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment